What are journal skins?
Journal skins are premade, installable layouts that allow you to customize the look and feel of your journal.
Here are a few examples:
Who can use journal skins?
Only premium members on deviantART can use journal skins.
If you're unsure about whether or not you're a premium member, just go to your profile page and look at the top. If it says "Need Premium Membership", you're not a premium member.
How do I use journal skins?
- Find a skin that you like. You can browse for one here, the Installable Journal Skins category.
- Pick a skin that you like.
- Before you install the skin, scroll down and read the comments. Many journal skins will require you to copy and paste some text in order for the skin to perform properly. In my journal skins, you need to copy and paste the div cods. To make your lives easier, you don't have to know what those are to use them.
- Once you've read the comments, install the journal skin.
- Now you should be taken to your journal where the skin is ready to be used.
- Copy and paste those div codes.
- The codes may look messy, but if you want to see what they'll look like, just hit 'Preview'.
- Type up your journal and add whatever you'd like to it.
Here are a few hints (when using my journal skins):
- The 'regular_box' is meant for normal text.
- The 'feature_box' is meant for showing off thumbs. Don't know what a thumb is or how to use it? Go here)
- The 'scroll_box' is a box with a set height that scrolls.
- You can hit 'Preview' just to see what it looks like so far.
- Change the customizable links.
Many journals will include customizable links to personal pages. For example, I include these in the header of the journal. To do this:
- Click on "Edit skin".
- Click on 'Accept'.
- Now it should look like this.
- Change the links in the area titled 'Skin Header'. Do not touch anything else.
If you're unsure how to change the link, this might help. A link code basically looks like this:
<a class="u" href="PLACE URL HERE">TITLE OF LINK HERE</a>
So if I wanted to add a link to my deviantART profile, it would look like this:
<a class="u" href="http://bloodpromiser.deviantart.com/">deviantART</a>
- When you're done, click 'Apply'.
- You should see that your changes have been applied.
- Click on "Edit skin".
- Add your title.
- Scroll down and click on "More Options" to add what you're currently doing.
- When you're done, you can submit your journal entry!
- Admire it on your journal page . . .
. . . And on your profile page!